Moving is hard, moving with small children is double the work. Long road trips, lots of waiting, everything packed into boxes. Keeping small children busy is esstiental to keeping everyone’s sanity. It will also help stop the “I’m bored” and “Are we there yet?” you are bound to hear. Here some simple and inexpensive ways to keep small children busy during a move.
1. Favorite Toys: Make sure they have their favorite toys with them. Let them chose a few favorite toys not to pack with the rest of the boxes. Put these special toys in a bag to keep with them during the move.
2. Movies: Buy a portable DVD player or download some digital movies onto a computer or tablet. Letting the kids watch a few of their favorite TV shows or movies will keep them entertained long enough to get a few things done or some peace and quit.
3. Extend Screen Time: Let them play on a tablet, your phone, or a hand held gaming device. Extend the hours they usually get to play on these during normal times.
4. Travel Games: Print or make some travel games for them to play on the road.
The Talking Suitcase has these adorable printable traval games, you can laminate them and use dry erase markers so they can be used over and over again.
You can also use a magnet cookie sheet from the Dollar Tree and some cheap magnets and make magnetic games and puzzles like these from Mission to Save.
5. Travel Kit: Make a travel kit for your kids like this one at The Talking Suitcase. Use an empty tub or plastic shoe box, fill it with stickers, paper, crayons, pencils, coloring books, reading books, games. Anything your child loves.
6. Let them run: Whenever you can, let them run. Find rest areas and playground or any outside open space for children to run free and burn off excess energy.