Moving day can be stressful for just about anyone, but a rainy day move can provide an additional level of uneasiness. With New Orleans receiving over 60 inches of rain each year on average, it’s likely that Mother Nature will dampen at least one move in your lifetime, but that does not mean moving day has to be a wash-out. By applying these tips for moving when the weather is less than cooperative, you will be able to get through the day and later, look back on the experience as nothing more than a minor inconvenience.
Tips for a Rainy Day Move
1. Wrap furniture and boxes securely in plastic wrap. Consider transferring your most treasured items into laminated boxes or plastic storage containers to guarantee their safety. Inspect boxes when they are delivered to your new location, and immediately unpack any that may have gotten wet.
2. Use garbage bags to transport last-minute or loose items, such as sheets, pillows, spare clothing, etc. Not only will these items stay dry, but the bags will be easier to squeeze in to small areas between boxes.
3. Lay old rugs or towels on both sides of any doors you are entering or exiting. This will not only protect your floors but will also help with traction, as uncarpeted floors can become quite slippery when wet. Have several towels on hand so you can change them out when they become saturated and so you can down damp items once they have arrived in your new home.
4. Wear waterproof shoes with nonskid soles. Nothing interrupts a move quite like an impromptu trip to the emergency room, and the right footwear can keep you upright and efficient.
5. Ensure everyone involved in the move has easy access to your home. Prior to delivery of the first load, identify the easiest route for getting your items inside the house. Make sure this pathway remains clear until all items have been securely placed inside.
6. Hire us! Our movers are experienced in moving in all conditions, and a little South Louisiana rain won’t slow us down. Call us (866) 7MOVE-ME / (866) 766-8363, email [email protected], or fill out this form for a FREE quote!