One of the most challenging tasks of moving is not just the physical labor aspect, especially if you’re using a professional Mandeville, LA mover. However, the chore of deciding what to keep, throw away, donate and pare down can be overwhelming.
Whether you’ve moved zero times or many more, the best way to meet this challenge head-on is to do a little bit every day for at least a month or two prior to your move. Tackling small sections or rooms of your home can make it less stressful, so you should not wait until the last minute.
The first step is to figure out how you are going to move. If you are using Atmosphere Movers, the process will be easier and you can fit a lot more of your belongings in the truck. However, if you plan on doing it solo and renting a truck, you may have limited space to work with. Then it becomes a matter of whittling down all your belongings, room by room.
Here’s 5 tips to decide what to keep or throw away when you move:
- Allow enough time to sort out your belongings. It may take longer than a month if you are planning to have a yard sale.
- Start with rooms and then deal with each section at a time. This also makes it easier after your Mandeville moving company brings the items to you, especially if your boxes are clearly marked with the rooms they are designated to go in upon arrival. For example, mark a box “Office” and then subcategory, such as “Filing Cabinet”. That way, you can reorganize quickly after your move.
- Put each section in a pile to get a sense of what you have and what you no longer need. Then, make 3 individual piles. One for things to move, a second for things to sell, donate or give to friends, and a final pile for things to throw away. Instead of throwing it all away at the end of your packing, you can do it each week to unload more things continuously, rather than one huge pile that is unmanageable to deal with.
- Work on a little bit each day. Depending on the size of your dwelling, you will need more time for bigger homes.
- At least two weeks prior to your move, hold your yard sale. Whatever you don’t sell, bring immediately to your favorite local charity reseller. The yard sale will give you some extra money for your move, plus someone else can benefit from the items you no longer need or want to bring with you. It’s a win-win.
- After your packing, donating and yard sailing, assess whatever you have left and think of friends who you can give things to. It will be a special reminder of you whenever they enjoy the item you have given them.
Not all moving companies in Louisiana are the same, therefore it is important to choose a mover in LA who can give you the most efficient service at the best price. Atmosphere Movers understands that moving can be a trying time for most folks, as it represents a new chapter in your life. If you need advice on deciding what to keep, move or give away, our professional Mandeville movers can help. Call 866-766-8363 today.