Selling Your Home in Real Life
Moving to a new home or different city can be exciting, but getting your current house ready to sell can be a daunting task. Trying to maintain a spotless home in the real world is challenging, as is having to be ready to drop everything for a showing on a moment’s notice. You want your home to be (or at least appear) perfect to achieve a quick sale, but how is this possible?
We asked a few local realtors for their best tips for selling your home, and doing it as painlessly as possible. If you are about to place your house on the market, give some of these a try. If a move is not in your immediate future, file these tips away for later!
Best Tips for Selling Your Home
- Make sure your home not only appears clean, but smells clean as well. Even a home that is spotless can drive away a prospective buyer if it has an unpleasant odor.
- Declutter everything, including closets and the garage. Having fewer items out in your home is not only more appealing to the eye, but also makes the house appear larger.
- Remove overly personal items and/or things that would not appeal to a wide audience. This will allow prospective buyer to envision themselves and their items in the home.
- If you have pets, take them with you when you leave for a showing, if possible. If they must stay, kennel them, and make sure the agent knows they will be at the house.
- If you are in the process of packing up your home, stack boxes neatly and out of the way.
- If a realtor calls for a showing and your house is not quite “show-ready,” take the mess on the road. Have a laundry basket handy, throw loose items into the basket, and place it in your car when you leave for the showing.
- Oh, and make certain that your home is not haunted. 😉