If you have ever moved before, you are likely aware of how hectic it can be. Studies have shown that moving or relocating can be just as stressful as changing jobs. Luckily, moving is an entirely manageable process. You avoid many last-minute rough spots by following some handy tips.
Download a copy of this convenient sheet to take with you – CLICK HERE
Here’s a list of the best moving hacks:
Two Months Before
- Write everything down. Create a simple record keeping system to keep track of your priorities, description of your boxed contents, supplies that you will need, and any other important information.
- Plan ahead. Familiarize yourself with your new community by gathering information about schools, recreational facilities, parks, and community programs. Keep records of all your moving expenses since many are tax deductible. Obtain an IRS Change of Address form.
Six Weeks Before
- Buy packing materials. These including boxes, packaging tape, garbage/vacuum sealed bags for your clothes and other packing supplies. Buying packing materials directly from your moving company is usually the easiest and best option.
- Keep Valuables in a Safe Place. Keeping your valuable possessions with you is a good idea. You can bury this in one box and label it ”Miscellaneous” or “Misc” to avoid drawing attention. You can also check with your homeowner’s insurance to see how you are covered during the move.
One Month Before
- Stay on top of home sale arrangements. Stay in touch with your realtors on important things such as home inspection or last minute requests from lenders.
- Update your auto insurance policy, if moving to a new ZIP code. If you are changing your insurance companies, use the same insurance company for your home and auto insurance to enjoy special bundle discounts.
- Clean your closets and garage.
- Get owner’s manuals for your new appliances.
Two Weeks Before
- Label all your packing boxes with accurate descriptions of their contents as you begin packing. If you plan to hire a moving company, pack only simple items but leave the heavy-lifting for them.
- Place room labels on each item.
- Place all the cleaning materials that you don’t need in one corner.
- Schedule transfer of service accounts for electric, water, cable etc.
- Backup your computer files.
One Week Before
- Clean your appliances including stove and oven.
- Take photos of your appliances and their wiring systems to make it easier to reassemble them in your new home.
One Day Before
- Clean your refrigerator then defrost.
- Withdraw money for the trip.