The Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain includes the parishes of St. Tammany, Washington and Tangipahoa. There is a lot to do on the Northshore from hiking, to enjoying music, boating and the great outdoors. Here is a list of 25 things to do on the Northshore that we think should make your must do list!
1. Mandeville Trailhead – Part of the Tammany Trace, the Mandeville Trailhead features a splash park, community market on Saturdays and lots of family fun.
2. Abita Trailhead – Also part of the Tammany Trace by the Bogue Falaya River, the Abita trail head features a children’s playground, museum and other popular attractions.
3. Abita Brewery – Take a tour of the brewery and see how Abita Beer is made. Tours are held Wed., Thurs., and Fri. at 2pm and Sat. at 11am, noon, 1pm, and 2pm.
4. Honey Island Swamp – Take a ride through one of the least-altered river swamps in the country and see all of the wonderful wildlife of Southern Louisiana.
5. Koop Drive / Kids Konnection – Ask around the Northshore about playgrounds and a lot of residents will tell you that the Kids Konnection playground is number one on their list. Located in Mandeville and part of the Tammany Trace, Kid Konnection offers a wide range of playground activities for children of all abilities.
6. Abita Mystery House – Located in Abita Spring on the Abita Trailhead, the mystery house is a roadside museum that features features a vintage service station, a 100yr old Louisiana Creole cottage, an exhibition hall of memorabilia and junk, and the much photographed House of Shards.
7. Northlake Nature Center – This 400 acre center gives visitors the opportunity to see three different ecosystems up close and personal.
8. Tickfaw State Park – The park features a splash pad, hiking trails an a nature center.
9. Abita Springs Opry – Located in Abita Springs the Opry hosts six concerts throughout the year that preserve and present Louisiana “roots” music.
10. Fontainebleau State Park – The park features a splash pad, camping, beach and more! It is also located on the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain.
11. Mrs. Heather’s Pumpkin Patch – Get into the fall spirit at Mrs. Heathers. Not only can you pick your own pumpkin, but there is a playground, cotton field, petting zoo, hiking trails and more!
12. Mrs. Heather’s Strawberry Patch – Nothing taste better than fresh Louisiana strawberries and in the spring you can go to Mrs. Heather’s and pick your very own!
13. Insta-Gator Ranch – Visit this working alligator farm and the 2000 alligators that call it home and learn all about them. You may even get to pet one!
14. Strawberry Festival – A spring favorite, the Strawberry festival is held every April in Ponchatoula.
15. Downtown Ponchatoula – with a small town Main Street feel, downtown Ponchatoula offers antique shopping, dining and more.
16. Global Wildlife – Feed the giraffes and other animals at this safari park.
17. Dew Drop Jazz Hall – For $10 a person, go listen to live jazz concerts held throughout the year.
18. Slidell Soda Shop – This replica of a 1960’s soda shop is located in Old Town Slidell.
19. Steele’s Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze – Locals call this one of the best pumpkin patches around. Opened yearly in the fall, Steeles features a pumpkin patch, corn maze and more.
20. Steel’s Christmas Tree Farm – during the Christmas season, you can go to Steele’s and cut down your own beautiful Christmas tree.
21. Liuzza Land – This produce farm offers pumpkin picking in the fall and strawberry picking in the spring. It also gives children a hands on environment to explore farm life.
22. Blueberry Harvest Farms – If you love blueberries this is the place to go in June and July!
23. Children’s Discovery Center – The perfect place for children up to age 12 to explore and learn hands on!
24. Washington Parish Fair – The fair happens every October and a big to do! There are rides, games, concerts and more fun than should be allowed!
25. Bogalusa Blues and Heritage Festival – Named one of the top ten festivals in Louisiana with a mission preserve and promote the blues and the gumbo of music that is our heritage.
Moving to the Northshore? Atmosphere Movers would love to be your moving company. Call (866) 7MOVE-ME / (866) 766-8363, email Info@AtmosphereMovers.com, or fill out this form for a FREE quote and more information.