Moving out of state can feel overwhelming because of all the extra tasks you need to do. When moving locally, you don’t need to change your driver’s license or fill out many new forms that you will need to do when you move to or from Louisiana. Where do you begin?
Our Slidell moving company can help you with the move to another state, as well as throughout Louisiana. We know you have many things to do, so this handy checklist can make your move out of state a little less overwhelming if you tackle each task individually.
Planning is the most time-consuming part of the moving process. If you can, take a trip to the area you are moving to in advance. Line up a place to live and check out the neighborhoods. In another article, we help you to narrow down the best neighborhood to live in and how to find one that fits your new life. It is important to do research and possibly rent, rather than buy a new property to live in.
These are 12 things you should do when planning an out-of-state move:
- Research the new area. Where will you live? Narrow down some regions that meet your criteria; based on your reason for moving. For example, if you are moving to be close to family, then you will want to choose somewhere that is within a 10 to 15-minute drive. If you are moving for a job, then you want to be within ½ hour commute or less.
- If possible, start applying to and lining up a job prior to your move. This will make the transition easier to know there will be an income coming in. Updating your resume should also be on the list of things to do.
- Once you know you are moving, start the process of decluttering, selling or giving away items in your home that you are no longer using.
- Contact moving companies in LA that can provide you with a fair estimate for the move.
- Start filling out the necessary paperwork you will need to do prior to your move. The existing lease, mortgage, real estate, moving, and even forwarding of your mail should be done prior to your move.
- Take care of you and your family’s health and education needs. Line up the school paperwork, doctor’s prescriptions, veterinary records, etc. and take them with you.
- Give away all the things you are no longer using and get a list of non-allowable items that the moving company in Mandeville cannot take on the truck. (i.e. – plants, chemicals, hazardous materials, etc.)
- Call utility providers and monthly memberships. You can go through your bank statements to determine who you need to call and what actions need to be made, such as transferring accounts, updating addresses, cancelling gym memberships, etc.
- Pad your savings account at least a few months prior to your move. Moving is expensive, so you don’t want to leave your finances in a bind when it comes to the moving day.
- Don’t forget to register your car and update your driver’s license within 30 days after your move. If you get stopped by the police, you may get a ticket if you do not adhere to the local laws, so get familiar with them before you move to the new state.
- Drive around and get familiar with your new city. Find shortcuts and convenient spots that you will visit frequently, such as coffee shops, grocery stores, etc.
- Finally, unpack. Start with the essentials first and then move on to the non-essentials. Try to complete this task within a couple of weeks, so that it will make settling into your new place feel more like ‘home’ than the last.
If you haven’t lined up a moving company in Louisiana yet, Atmosphere Movers will be happy to provide you with an estimate. Fill out the Contact Form or call 866-766-8363 to speak with one of our Mandeville moving company reps today.