You found your dream home or you have to relocate and move to a new city. First you have to sell your current home. Here are ten things you should do before selling your house!
1. Purge and Declutter: Go through the house including the attic, closets, garage and declutter. Now is the time to get rid of those jeans you bought five years ago that you are going to fit into again one day. Not sure what to do with all the stuff you are getting rid of? We have this handy guide of where you can donate and sell your used belongings!
2. Start packing: Before you list your home for sell, start packing up the items you won’t need for a few months. Place these items in a storage unit so they aren’t taking up space in closets or your garage. This not only gets you ahead of the packing game, but it clears your space so potential buyers can start to imagine it as theirs.
3. Organize: Organize your storage areas so that they show off how much storage your home has.
4. Deep Clean: Make your home sparkle! Clean the baseboards, all the little nooks and crannies, windowsills, tile grout, blinds etc. Better yet hire a maid service to come in and do it for you!
5. De-personalize: Get rid of that wallpaper you thought was just perfect for the bathroom and paint over that bright lime green paint your teen just had to have. Also pack up and remove family pictures. You want your home to be clean and neutral so that potential buyers see it as their home, not yours.
6.Spruce up the outside: Plant new flowers, paint the front door, clean off the porch. Make sure the outside of your house inviting so people will want to see more. Don’t forget the backyard!
7. Remember kitchens sell homes: The number one thing most buyers are looking at is your kitchen. Kitchens sell homes! So if you have money to update, this is where you should spend it first.
8. NO KIDS OR PETS ALLOWED: Not really! It’s not like you can make them go away during the time period you are selling your home. You can repair any kid or pet damage. Paint over the growth chart on the door frame, replace soiled carpet, eliminate the odors, keep toys neatly cleaned up, and make potential buyers forget your pets and kids exist.
9. Dont’ forget the small stuff: The titled mailbox, the scuff on the wall, the mismatched hardware on the bathroom, the slightly broken noisy fan. All these little things can put off potential buyers, so fix them while you are sprucing the place up!
10. Hide everyday items: No one wants to see your dirty kitchen sponge, or the pile of mail on the counter. Hide all the little everyday things that may cause a buyer to turn around and walk out.